This page provides an introduction to the new Covid-19 testing programme in Scotland and we would ask all staff to use this page and read the information provided.
The vaccination programme for NHS and keyworkers began in January 2021 and we anticipate that our Care, Enhanced and Factoring SBUs will start to use the new tests no later than 22 February.
If you have questions about the Covid-19 testing programme in Scotland, speak to your line manager or HR.
The roll-out of tests is currently taking place across Scotland and our Care, Enhanced and Factoring staff will shortly receive new kits. Hanover is working with Local authorities and NHS health boards to oversee the distribution of the new kits and our SBUs will start to receive their allocation of tests shortly. If you are a manager and you need more tests urgently, speak to your area manager about ordering more devices, depending on the type of test you are using.
What tests are available?
- Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) – uses a combined nasal/throat swab to analyse for signs of asymptomatic symptoms in the person. The test takes between two-five minutes to complete and you can found out more about PCR testing in our Useful Resources below.
- Lateral Flow Devices (LFDs) – use a nasal swab to analyse for symptoms of Covid-19, the test takes around five minutes to complete and results are available after 30 minutes. If you are using an LFD then you must record your test result (positive, negative or invalid) on the NHS and Hanover portals – you can find these links in the Useful Resources section below. You can also find more information about the tests in our FAQs document below. How an LFD works.
- Hanover has also produced a video guide to using the Lateral Flow Device.
We have created a factsheet and FAQs for the testing programme in Scotland which you can find below. There is also more information about the testing programme in Useful Resources at the bottom of the page.
- Covid-19 Testing Programme – Factsheet for staff
- Covid-19 Testing Programme – Factsheet for line managers
- Covid-19 Testing Programme – FAQs for Housing with Care staff
- Covid-19 Testing Programme – FAQs for Enhanced Staff
A Covid-19 testing flow-chart can also be found here.
Scottish Government announcement – Tuesday 2 February
First Minister for Scotland, Nicola Sturgeon, gave a statement to the Scottish Parliament on Tuesday 2 February about the vaccination and testing programmes in Scotland. During the statement, Nicola Sturgeon announced the following points about the progress of the testing programme:
- Regular testing of healthcare workers will be expanded to cover primary care workers in patient-facing roles, such as dentists, GPs and pharmacists.
- From mid-February, regular testing will be available to staff who work directly with patients in hospices.
- There will be an expansion of targeted community testing, where the programme is made available to everyone in that community, whether they have symptoms or not.
- Seven local authorities have already agreed to the new community testing programme, within the Fife, Grampian and Ayrshire & Arran health board areas.
- Additionally, mobile testing units continue to provide targeted, community testing in Ayrshire & Arran, Dumfries & Galloway, the Scottish Borders and Forth Valley.
You can also find more advice about the testing programme by using these links:
- Scottish Government
- Scottish Government – Advice for Care at Home staff
- UK Government – Advice for Scottish keyworkers
- NHS Inform
- Lateral Flow Device (LFD) – User Guide
- Lateral Flow Device (LFD) – Video Guide*
- Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) Guide
- NHS Portal – use this to report your test results
- Hanover Portal – use the MyHR portal to record any test results.
*This video will not display on RDS, please copy the link and view on desktop.
Remember, if your test result is positive, you must inform your line manager immediately and self-isolate for a period of 10 days.