Back to news

Focus on fuel

You will no doubt have heard lots in the news about the cost of living crisis and the rising fuel bills which are likely to impact us all in the coming months. We want you to know that there is help and support available.

Energy Advice – Home Energy Scotland

Almost everyone can get some form of help from Home Energy Scotland. This is a free service funded by the Scottish Government. They can provide:

  • Free, impartial advice about energy-saving options for your home.
  • Support to reduce your energy bills while staying warm, including switching energy tariffs.
  • A home energy check – you can do this over the phone, online or an advisor can visit you at home.
  • Guidance on financial support, including: benefits checks; incentives; discounted energy rates; and help with any outstanding fuel debt you may have.
  • Advice and referrals for grants, or loans to help fund energy efficiency improvements.
  • Referrals to the Warm Home Discount scheme – this could get you a discount on your electricity bill.

To find out how Home Energy Scotland can help you, call freephone 0808 808 2282 or email Alternatively, visit or follow @HomeEnergyScotland on Facebook.

Citizens Advice Scotland

Citizens Advice Scotland also has a wealth of information on your energy supply at If you’re in debt to your energy supplier, you might be able to get a grant from a charitable trust to help pay your energy debts. Your application is more likely to be successful if you’ve received debt advice.

Contact or phone 0800 028 1456.

Warm Home Discount

The Warm Home Discount scheme (WHDS) offers a one off payment of £140 (inclusive of VAT) towards the energy bills of households that need it most in England, Scotland and Wales.

You can find out more on the UK Government website.

Winter Fuel Payments

If you are of pension age you may receive a Winter Fuel payment from the Government of between £100 and £300. You can check your eligibility and apply on the UK Government website.

Cold Weather Payment

If you are in receipt of a means tested benefit and your local weather is below 0 degrees for seven consecutive days then you may qualify for a Cold Weather Payment. You can check your eligibility on the UK Government website.

Print this pageBack to news