Back to news

Help with health costs

If you receive Pension Credit, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, income related Employment and Support Allowance, Universal Credit, Income Support or you have a valid NHS tax credit exemption certificate you will qualify for:

  • free NHS dental treatment
  • a voucher towards the cost of glasses or contact lenses
  • a refund of reasonable expenses when travelling to receive NHS treatment.

If you do not receive a means-tested benefit you can still receive some help if you have a low income. You need to complete an HC1 form, available to download here. It is also available from community pharmacies, GP practices, Jobcentre Plus or download a copy from the NHS Inform website.

People living in the council areas of Highland, Argyll and Bute, Western Isles, Orkney and Shetland can get help with the costs of travel to hospital for NHS treatment under the Highlands and Islands Travel Costs Scheme. You must have to travel at least thirty miles by land, or more than five miles by sea, to get to hospital.

You can find out more from your local health board or hospital.

Print this pageBack to news