Back to news

Maximising your income and managing your bills

Are you getting all the money and financial support you are entitled to? Below are some agencies that can assist you with maximising your income.


Financial health check

The first thing to do is get a financial health check. Citizens Advice Scotland have a Money Map service that can help you find sources of online support to increase your income, reduce your bills and ease the costs of daily living. You can access this service online at Money Map.

Benefits check

To potentially increase your income, you may consider carrying out a benefit check to ensure that you are receiving all the welfare benefits you may be entitled to. We recommend using a calculator. You can find one here and here.

They will ask for the following information:

Your Financial Situation

  • Details of any benefits you’re getting, i.e. what benefit and how much you get;
  • Details of any savings you have and any other ‘capital’ investments, e.g. shares;
  • Details of any income that’s not from work or benefits, e.g. from a pension or insurance plan.

Your Household

  • Do you have a partner? In order to carry our accurate calculations, we will need your partners details and their income from work or benefits;
  • Health: Do you, your partner have a health condition or disability? We will need to know details of this, along with any benefit you and your family may be in receipt of.

Your Housing Situation

  • The type of accommodation you have, e.g. housing association tenant; and the number of bedrooms the property has.
  • How much rent and service charge you pay.

If you do not have access to the internet, please call Hailie Johnston, Welfare Rights Officer on 0131 370 7457 for assistance.

Help managing your finances

Money and debt management is a regulated service and must be carried out by qualified individuals. To qualify for energy grants, it is expected that you have received some form of advice from a recognised agency.

If you would like advice about money and debt, you can get help from:

Advice Direct Scotland (freephone 0808 196 2316)
Christians Against Poverty (freephone 0800 328 0006)
Citizens Advice Scotland (freephone 0800 028 1456)
National Debtline (freephone 0808 808 4000)


Broadband and mobile social tariffs

The Government has called on all broadband providers to offer and promote social tariffs which are discounted broadband and mobile deals for people on Universal Credit, Pension Credit or other benefits.

The exact requirements depend on the broadband provider in question – some only offer social tariffs to Universal Credit recipients, while others extend eligibility to those on Income Support, Jobseeker’s Allowance and Employment & Support Allowance. If you would be interested in exploring this further you can find details here or you can contact your current provider to discuss moving to a social tariff.

Print this pageBack to news