Gas is very dangerous, and you are the one using the gas supply. This means that you are responsible for protecting yourself, your home and anyone living with you.
If you smell gas, call SGN immediately on 0800 111 999, using a phone outside of your home.
Gas safety guidance for affected area:
- Do switch off all gas appliances.
- Do turn off the gas supply at the main tap. This is usually beside the gas meter.
- Do open doors and windows to let fresh air in.
- Do not use any electrical appliances, including switches, doorbell, phone / mobile.
- Do not smoke or light a flame.
- Do not remain in the area.
We install carbon monoxide detectors in all our gas heated properties. If the alarm sounds, turn off your gas boiler and other appliances and call us on 0345 604 4686.
If you live in a Hanover property and you have an emergency, activate your alarm pendant or pull cord.
Yearly safety inspections
Once a year we carry out an inspect of the gas installations in your home and issue you with a Landlord’s Gas Safety Record.
Every year we will also service central heating boilers and other appliances in your home that are the property of Hanover Scotland. Any appliance that is not our property will also be checked. However, any repairs identified to appliances that you own will be your responsibility.
Please note that:
- You must allow our contractor access for the annual safety check. If you do not give access, we may have to force entry.
- Only allow access to someone who is a ‘gas safe’ registered engineer to work on your gas supply or appliances, or any gas fire.
- If any fault is found with your cooker or fire, you should have it repaired and serviced by an approved tradesman. You must check that any tradesman you approach is on the ‘Gas Safe Register’.
Do you want to install a gas appliance?
Allowing an unqualified person to fit or repair a gas appliance is dangerous and illegal. If you want to install any gas appliance in your home, you must first contact us for permission. To apply for our written permission, call us on 0800 111 4646.
Electricity can be dangerous, and you have to be very careful when handling electrical appliances in your home.
As your landlord we have a duty to make sure that electrical appliances and wiring in your home are safe. Being a tenant, the condition and safety of appliances you bring into your home are your responsibility.
Our homes are full of electrical appliances that can cause electrocution, damage and fire. Appliances not in use should therefore always be switched off. If you have any doubts about the safety of an appliance, get it tested or replace it.
The danger signs:
- Frayed, cut or damaged cables
- Incorrectly wired plugs or cracked plug cases
- Long or overheated cables, and burn marks on plugs or cables
- Blown fuses
- Loose cord grips in plugs or appliances
- Smell of burnt plastic
- Overloading sockets
- Wet objects near plug sockets or cables
Make sure to check that:
- plugs and sockets are undamaged
- cables and leads are in good condition, and not trailed under carpets or rugs
- light fittings are not visibly damaged
- you are not storing combustible materials around your fuse box or meter
- you don’t use the top of the microwave for extra storage
- you never take mains-powered electrical items into the bathroom
Are my sockets overloaded?
Socket extensions can be useful but become dangerous if overloaded. You should only use one socket extension lead per socket and never plug an extension lead into another extension lead.
For more help and advice on electrical safety in your home, visit Electrical Safety First and browse their range of useful articles.
If you have any questions about electricity in your home, do not hesitate to get in touch with us.