Home adaptations

Aids and adaptations are alterations to make a home easier to live in, so that a resident can enjoy more independence.  At Hanover, we know that housing which meets customer needs can have a positive impact on health and contribute to independence, privacy and dignity. Hanover is responsible for permanent adaptations although this is subject to the availability of resources. Responsibility for temporary aids and adaptations normally lies with Social Work or equivalent services.

For low value, minor adaptations below a threshold Hanover will meet the costs.  The threshold amount is reviewed and set annually.  This may include fitting of temporary aids and adaptations provided by Social Work where there are no other arrangements in place.

For other adaptations, a needs assessment need to be completed by a local authority or NHS Occupational Therapist.

An assessment may be carried out through one or a combination of the following:

  • GP referral: A resident can be referred by their GP to an OT or the Social Work Department to have a full assessment carried out.
  • Hanover referral: A member of our staff may identify a potential need for an adaptation, in consultation with the tenant. They will be able to advise the tenant how to go about requesting an OT or Social Work assessment.

The property will be assessed for suitability for the proposals. Where proposals are prohibitively costly, or may affect the future ability to let the property, a more detailed options appraisal will be undertaken and will include consideration of alternative accommodation.

Hanover maintains a waiting list of requests for adaptations when all allocated funding has been used. Priority is assessed by the OT who allocates a category of priority based on the Local Authority standards that apply to them.

Print this page