Our governing body is the Board, and is made up of 11 unpaid volunteers:
Chairperson: Michael Martin
Vice-chairperson: Alan Savage
Gary Devlin ACA CPFA
Oonagh Gil MRTPI
Catherine Wyllie BA CA
Ann MacDonald MCIH
Prof Sir Geoff Palmer OBE DSc
Prof Alison Petch
Neil Rennick BArch (Hons)
Susan Hamilton MBA (Open) CPFA CIRM
Their duties are:
Overall leadership and management of Hanover, including:
- determining our strategy;
- approving our strategic business plan and its annual review and related performance reporting arrangements, including customer service and quality standards;
- determining our strategic attitude to risk, including the acceptable degree of risk tolerance and identification of strategic risk-related objectives;
- ensuring the maintenance of a sound system of internal control and risk management;
- maintaining an overview of the resourcing of our activities; and
- overall responsibility for our organisational structure.
- Overall responsibility for our financial strategy.
- Approval of the annual financial statements.
- Approval of the annual operating and capital expenditure budgets.
- Approval of the annual return on the Scottish Social Housing Charter.
- An overview of regulatory engagement.
The Chief Officers of Hanover are the Chief Executive and four executive Directors. They manage Hanover and report, through the Chief Executive, to the Board on the discharge of their duties.
Helen joined Hanover in 1995 as Director of Housing and Care Services and became Chief Executive in 2007. With more than 36 years’ experience in social housing (30 as a senior manager), she is particularly interested in strategic and business management, change management, housing policy and staff development.
Helen is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Housing (1989), has an MBA (1993), is a member of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors and is an Associate Member of the Institute of Personnel Development.
Director of Strategic Finance
Karen has worked in finance for more than 17 years and joined Hanover in 2005 as Senior Finance Manager, becoming Director of Strategic Finance in 2015. She qualified as a Chartered Accountant in 2004 and became a fellow in 2009.
Mark joined Hanover in 2015 as Director of Asset Management. Previously Mark worked for another large Scottish social landlord for 24 years; most recently as Director of Asset Management and prior to this as Director of Housing. Mark is a full corporate member of the Chartered Institute of Housing and is a member of the Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors.
Director of Customer Services
Chris joined Hanover in 1999 as IT Manager. Before this, he worked in the private sector in London and has more than 18 years’ experience in ICT and systems management. Chris was appointed Director of Business & Communications in 2009 and became Director of the newly formed Customer Services department in 2014. Chris has an MBA (2012) and has been a member of the British Computer Society since 2004.
Adam joined Hanover in 2014 as a Learning and Development Advisor having worked for almost 20 years as a Learning and Development Consultant. Adam was appointed director in 2016. Adam is a member of the Charted Institute of Personnel and Development.